This article details the 17 best vulnerability scanners out there with their features, pros, and cons. Along with this, the provides help on the factors you should consider when making such a serious decision as well as the features often offered by a good vulnerability scanner.
A lot of thought and consideration has to be put into choosing the right vulnerability scanning partner to assess your organization’s security posture thoroughly. Some factors to consider include:
- Budget: Are the tools considered by you affordable for your organization and with all the required features for scanning?
- Features: Are there features like business logic error detection or vetted scans or zero false positives assurances that set them apart from other competitors?
- Compliance: Is the scanning tool capable of conducting specific scans for various regulatory compliances?
- Customer Support: Do they provide 24*7 customer support and help with remediation?
- Integrations: Can the vulnerability scanner be integrated into your organization’s CI/CD pipeline?
- Detailed Reports: Ensure the company provides detailed reports with all the relevant details.
Best Vulnerability Scanners to Pick in 2023
Vulnerability scanners are in high demand as companies are becoming more and more security conscious. Here are the 17 best vulnerability scanners for your organization to consider:
- Astra Pentest
- AWS Inspector
- Indusface WAS
Lastly, we elucidate the steps carried out during an extensive vulnerability scan as well as the limitations of the vulnerability scanning process.
|S. No.||Vulnerability Scanner||Features|
|1.||Astra Pentest||1. More than 3000 tests.
2. Allows integrations with Slack, GitHub, GitLab and more.
3. Compliance-specific scans provided.
4. Detailed reports with remediation assistance.
|2.||Qualys||1. available for major cloud platforms.
2. Provides cloud-based vulnerability management.
3. Highly scalable
|3.||Rapid7||1. Provides vulnerability testing, threat intelligence.
2. Easy to Use
3. Helps with compliance
|4.||Intruder||1. Helps with attack surface monitoring.
2. Provides Real-time alerts.
|5.||Nessus||1. Provides point-in-time analysis.
2. Helps achieve compliance through scans.
17 Best Vulnerability Scanners: Features, Pros, And Cons
1. Astra Pentest
Astra Pentest provides a world-class comprehensive vulnerability scanner with the following features:
- Comprehensive vulnerability scanner
Astra Pentest provides continuous scanning facilities with its comprehensive scanner that is capable of conducting more the 3000 tests to find any and every hidden vulnerability.
It offers deep scans for web applications, APIs, networks, mobile applications, and cloud infrastructure.
- CI/CD Integrations
Astra offers CI/CD integration services for organizations. This helps companies move from DevOps To DevSecOps, thus giving more priority to security within every phase of a project’s development. It offers integrations with Slack, GitHub, and GitLab to name a few.
- Compliance-specific Scans
Astra offers the option to scan for specific compliances required by your organization. It provides a compliance-specific dashboard where you can opt for the specific compliance to scan for.
Once the scan is complete the results reveal the areas of non-compliance. Compliance-specific scans provided by Astra include PCI-DSS, HIPAA, SOC2, ISO 27001, and GDPR.
- Intuitive Dashboard (CXO friendly)
Astra’s vulnerability scanner boasts a CXO-friendly dashboard that is super easy to navigate. It displays the vulnerabilities as and when they are found.
Members of the development team can be added to the dashboard to collaborate with pentesters for quicker vulnerability resolution.
The dashboard also offers the option to comment under each vulnerability so that the development team can clear queries quickly.
- Detailed Reports
Once the vulnerability scanning is completed a report is generated which includes the scope of testing, a list of vulnerabilities found, their details, and possible remediation measures.
It also mentions their CVSS score and Astra goes a step further by providing customers with an actionable vulnerability risk score based on which critical vulnerabilities can be prioritized.
- Remediation Support
Once vulnerability scanning with Astra is complete Astra also provides detailed steps for remediation based on risk prioritization. This is done with the aid of POC videos and collaboration within the vulnerability dashboard.
- Can detect business logic errors and conduct scans behind logins.
- Provides rescanning upon successful remediation of vulnerabilities.
- Provides compliance-specific scans and reports.
- Ensure zero false positives through vetted scans.
- Could have more integrations.
Qualys is a cloud vulnerability scanner that allows the assessment of cloud assets, vulnerabilities, and compliance status. Qualys has a large database of known CVEs that is constantly updated. Its scalability and accuracy are some of the reasons that make this tool a popular choice.
- The highly scalable vulnerability scanning solution
- Provides vulnerability management, detection, and response.
- Accurate reporting that is easy to follow.
- Can be slow when scanning.
- Difficult to navigate for beginners.
- Slightly on the expensive end.
- No zero false positive assurance.
Also Read: Qualys alternative
Rapid7 is an upcoming vulnerability scanning service. The tool provides vulnerability testing, risk management, and threat intelligence. They also help achieve compliance with various regulatory standards through their vulnerability assessments.
- Great scanning abilities that help meet compliance requirements.
- Their services are easy to use and deploy.
- The services are scalable based on customer requirements.
- Scanned devices can only be removed manually.
- Inadequate customer satisfaction.
Check Out: Best Rapid7 Alternative
Intruder is a top-notch online vulnerability scanner that helps avoid costly data leaks and breaches through vulnerability scanning. It offers continuous vulnerability management, compliance reporting, and monitoring as well as attack surface monitoring.
- Continuously monitors attack surfaces for any chinks in security.
- Provides comprehensive security checks to find vulnerabilities like misconfigurations, injections, OWASP Top 10, and more.
- Automated scanning with real-time alerts for exposed ports and other services.
- Could have better integrations.
- Confusing interface.
- Zero false positives are not assured.
Check Out: Best Intruder Alternative
Nessus is a web application vulnerability scanning tool released by Tenable. It helps with point-in-time analysis of security systems to find vulnerabilities that may be plaguing them. They also provide a detailed reporting feature that details the vulnerabilities found and the appropriate patches for them.
- Helps find missing patches that are critical to maintaining security.
- Point-in-time analysis of security system.
- Helps achieve compliance with the scans.
- Advanced support is only available upon additional payment.
- Takes time to complete scans.
- Can be an expensive solution.
Check Out: Best Nessus Alternative
Nmap is an open-source vulnerability scanner that helps with cloud network discovery, management, and monitoring. It is designed to scan large cloud networks, however, it also works fine against singlet networks.
- Shows open ports, running serves, and other critical facets of a network
- Freely available.
- Usable for large and small networks alike
- The user interface can be improved.
- Might show different results each time.
BurpSuite is a constantly evolving vulnerability scanning tool that provides integrations for easy ticket generation. Now, it also provides scope for testing out cloud environments and testing for misconfigurations in S3 buckets.
- Provides advanced automated pentesting services.
- Provides step-by-step advice for every vulnerability found.
- Can crawl through complex targets with ease based on URLs and content.
- Advanced solutions are commercialized and can be expensive.
- Does not provide expert customer service and assistance.
Detectify provides surface monitoring and application scanning options for a company’s growing attack surface. Its Application Scanning option scan and detect vulnerabilities automatically.
- Real-time alerts for the vulnerabilities detected.
- Continuous scan that can be integrated into the development pipeline.
- Surface monitoring provided by Detectify can detect a lot of vulnerabilities in the internet-facing assets that organizations have.
- Expensive compared to other options.
- Reported performance issues with the interface.
This web vulnerability scanner allows the easy testing of security for web applications and APIs. It provides thorough reports that are easy to follow.
- Simple to use with continuous scanning.
- Wide range of tests.
- Good customer support.
- Could have better integrations.
10. AWS Inspector
This automated vulnerability management service helps by performing continuous scans of the automatically detected AWS workloads for vulnerabilities and unintentional exposures. After a few easy steps to enable its services, AWS Inspector can be used across all your AWS accounts.
- Discovers EC2 instances and images.
- Assess the plastic container registry for flaws and areas of exposure.
- Contextualized risk scores
- Does not provide the classification of individual findings.
- Billing can be a bit tricky
Established in 1985 Sophos Cloud offers simplified enterprise-level solutions for cloud security including vulnerability scanning, 24/7 cloud threat detection and response, native protection, and security automation for DevOps.
- Available for AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- Helps with security automation through DAST, SAST, and SCA code analysis.
- Intuitive user-friendly dashboard.
- It can be expensive.
- Difficult to set up.
- Customer support could be better.
These are the best vulnerability scanners available out there to ensure the safety of your organization’s online presence.
This is a vulnerability scanner that was designed for efficiency promising 90% scan results by the time the scan is halfway completed. It also allows the scanning of multiple environments as well as the prioritization of vulnerabilities.
Its key features include the ability to pinpoint vulnerability locations, and optimization for script-heavy sites among others.
- Time release of updates
- Can find a wide array of vulnerabilities.
- Agile testing with detailed reports
- Does not provide expert remediation assistance with professionals.
- Does not ensure zero false positives.
- Pricing is not mentioned.
- Dated user interface with scope for improvement.
This cloud-based vulnerability assessment scanning tool is automated and generally availed for web applications. It provides management service for an organization’s infrastructure.
Cobalt’s SaaS platform helps you gather real-time insights so that your teams can get on with the remediation quickly. It helps you with cloud scanning and other forms of pentesting.
- Impressive existing clientele including Nissan and Vodafone.
- 14- day trial period.
- Accelerated find to fix cycles
- The retest often takes too much time
- Complex pricing structure
- Reported false positives
Wireshark is a prominent freely available network packet analyzer that’s made use of by a large population of security testers. It offers live monitoring and offline capturing while running on different platforms like Windows, Linux, and more.
It is prominently used for network monitoring, troubleshooting, and protocol development. However, it does not readily detect and report intrusions found.
- Easy to install
- Freely available
- Can be difficult for beginners to navigate.
- Could improve its user interface.
Veracode is a dynamic solution that helps in the analysis of web applications to find vulnerabilities. It has the capacity to run thousands of tests with a less than 1% false positive assurance rate.
- Offers DAST, SAST, and penetration testing services.
- Provides detailed and comprehensive reports.
- Provides automated remediation assistance.
- Zero false positives are not assured.
- Could improve its user interface
- Can be difficult for beginners.
Invicti is a powerful, highly accurate, automated web app vulnerability scanner. It is the de-facto standard for detecting, locating, and reporting application security risks.
Invicti or as it was previously known as, Netsparker can be used to scan any web application regardless of the technology stack or development framework used. It is used by developers, auditors, and security professionals to improve the security of web applications.
- Lot of options to select security policies from
- IAST enabled scans
- Zero false positives
- No support for 2FA and MFA apps
- Slows down while scanning large applications
17. Indusface WAS
Indusface combines automated scanning and manual pentesting to help you detect all OWASP top 10 vulnerabilities, and business logic errors and also promises zero false positives, and provides remediation assistance.
The scanner built by Indusface is focused on scanning single-page applications and they offer intelligent crawling.
- Assured zero false positives through zero-day protection.
- Helps achieve compliance with regulations like PCI-DSS and ISO 27001.
- Vulnerability detection is not limited to OWASP Top 10.
- It has an executive dashboard that provides necessary information.
- Not available for mobile applications.
- Reports are difficult to understand.
Also Read- Best Tenable Alternative
How To Choose The Best Vulnerability Scanner?
Here are the detailed factors to take into consideration when choosing from the best vulnerability scanners.
Choosing according to the budget set by you for your organization’s online security needs. The companies that you’re shortlisting should have the flexibility of setting a quote customized to your needs and or must have budget-friendly packages that are precise for your company size.
Do the tools considered by you offer any additional features within the vulnerability scanning like vetted scans to ensure zero false positives, detection of business logic errors, scans behind logins, and compliance-specific scans?
This puts these tools at the top of your list as they can provide enhanced detection of various risks.
Also Read: Top 6 Web Application Vulnerability Scanners
What are the compliances catered for by the tools within your consideration? Do they provide compliance-specific scans with tailor-made compliance reports based on the compliance you want to test for? Compliances like PCI-DSS, HIPAA, SOC2, GDPR, and ISO 27001 are some of the most important ones to keep in mind.
4. Customer Support
Make sure that customer support provided by the vulnerability scanning provider in question is good with a quick query clearance rate. Check up on customer reviews and gain a better understanding of the customer support provided by the companies.
Can the tool be integrated with your CI/CD pipeline? This is crucial in the present-day scenario where due importance is being given to security in the online platform. Thus ensure that the tool you opt for can be integrated with your projects on different platforms.
6. Detailed Reports
Ensure that tool provides a well-detailed report explaining and summarizing the finding of the vulnerability scan based on the scope set by you and your scanning partner. Check out some of the sample reports provided by the companies on your shortlist to see which one is more detailed and goal-oriented and choose accordingly.
Features Of A Good Vulnerability Scanner
A good vulnerability scanner should have the following features provided by it:
It should be able to test and assess various types of assets that could be owned by a company from the web or mobile apps, to APIs, networks, and the cloud infrastructure. It should be compatible with the major cloud providers i.e. Azure, GCP, and AWS.
Also read: Top 5 Cloud Vulnerability Scanners
2. Continuous Scanning
The tool should continuously monitor and scan assets to find any hidden or new vulnerabilities that could have risen. It is also important that these scans be conducted every time an application is updated, a new feature is added or some other form of change is made.
Also Read: Continuous Penetration Testing
It should be integrated with various forums to ensure that your organization’s projects, be it on any platform are safe from vulnerabilities at every stage of their development. This helps your organization to move from DevOps to DevSecOps thus giving more priority to security.
4. Compliance-Specific Scans
Compliance-specific scans can help find areas of non-compliance for specific regulatory standards that need to be upheld by your organization. This along with specific compliance reporting can strongly help you remediate any areas of non-compliance quickly before you receive any hefty fines or penalties for non-compliance.
5. Comprehensive Reports
Comprehensive reports are a staple feature of a good vulnerability scanner as this helps customers make the fixes based on risk priority as this with the detailed steps for patching each vulnerability will be mentioned within the report along with the CVSS scores for them.
6. Remediation Assistance
They should be able to provide innate assistance with your vulnerability remediation for your organization’s security. This includes providing POC videos, immediate query clearance, and providing detailed steps within the vulnerability scanning report.
Once remediation is done, a rescan is provided to ensure that no new vulnerabilities have risen and the previously found vulnerabilities have been fixed flawlessly.
Limitations of Vulnerability Scanners
- Not Extensive
A vulnerability scan can only detect the vulnerabilities but it does not provide an in-depth analysis of the damage that could be caused by it if the vulnerability was made used to gain entry by a malicious hacker.
This is where pentesting is a much more extensive option as it not only identifies vulnerabilities it exploits them so that you can gain a better understanding of how severe the effect of a breach would be when stemmed from that vulnerability.
- Unclear Implications
Each vulnerability when exploited can expose different areas of your organization. A vulnerability scan cannot generally give a thorough understanding of the implication that a vulnerability has on your security system.
- False Positives
Vulnerability scans can also result in false positives which in turn results in organizations spending time and money to fix vulnerabilities based on a glitch.
This is where vetted scans are a great option as the vulnerabilities found are double-checked by the scan provider to ensure that all vulnerabilities found are legitimate.
This article has detailed the 5 best vulnerability scanners with Astra Pentest as the top contender, and their features, pros, and cons. Along with this, we have also detailed various factors to consider when choosing the web vulnerability scanner or the best cloud application vulnerability scanner.
These along with the steps in vulnerability scanning are aimed at helping you arrive at the best vulnerability scanning solution for your needs!
What can vulnerability scanners not do?
A vulnerability scanner provides an in-depth view of the impact of a vulnerability if it is exploited. Another issue with vulnerability scans is that it raises false positives which can result in companies spending time and money to fix vulnerabilities that didn’t exist.
What are the advantages of vulnerability scanners?
Vulnerability scanners can help companies assess their security systems in a budget-friendly manner with continuous monitoring and fast results.
How does a vulnerability scanner detect threats?
Vulnerability scanners have a vulnerability database with all-known CVEs to which the vulnerabilities detected be matched for correct identification.