PrestaShop vs WooCommerce: All You Need To Know
Planning to take your business online? The basic requirements include an eye-catching website and an effortless Content management system(CMS) cut out for an e-commerce website. Well, PrestaShop & WooCommerce are both open-source platforms to build your e-commerce websites on. Hence, the dilemma of choosing one between PrestaShop vs WooCommerce, two leaders of this space can be mind-numbing.
So, in this article, we will compare the two leading e-commerce CMS(s) on the basis of their design, price, customer support, user experience, etc. So that you can make a more optimum choice for your ambitious business online. Be tuned to find out who wins.
Contents of This Guide
- 1 WooCommerce vs PrestaShop: Complete Analysis
- 1.1 1) Design & Themes (PrestaShop vs WooCommerce)
- 1.2 2) Price (PrestaShop vs WooCommerce)
- 1.3 3) Customization (WooCommerce vs PrestaShop)
- 1.4 4) User Experience (WooCommerce vs PrestaShop)
- 1.5 5) Support (WooCommerce vs PrestaShop)
- 1.6 6) Security (PrestaShop vs WooCommerce)
- 2 Conclusion
PrestaShop is an open source e-commerce CMS written in PHP and MySQL. PrestaShop has come a long way since its launch in 2005. Data shows it has grown to 250,000 business owners who are using it presently. Its customers include big names like McDonalds, Le Slip Français, zibood’chou, k-way etc. Further, it offers multiple features such as themes, modules, etc and is open for physical as well as digital commodities.
According to Wikipedia,
PrestaShop has more than three hundred built-in features for managing product listing, payments, shipping, manufacturers and suppliers.
Further, the Product details on the PrestaShop website can be seen in the picture below.
The popularity of PrestaShop lies mainly in European countries as it has its origin there.
WooCommerce is an open source Plugin for WordPress dealing in e-commerce. Since it was first launched in 2011, WooCommerce’s success seems quite amazing today. It provides a place to sell physical and digital commodities online. WooCommerce, too, offers multiple features including themes, modules, languages etc. Also, WooCommerce can be used by varied customers such as store owners, developers and so on. Some of its customers are Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, Singer Australia, Weber, orange and All black.
The features of WooCommerce as given in its official website is shown in the picture below.
The main difference between Prestashop and WooCommerce lies in the fact that WooCommerce is not an independent website. It is a plugin that has to be installed on WordPress. Whereas, PrestaShop is a completely independent CMS to develop ecommerce store.
Let us now do, what the article had promised: A COMPLETE ANALYSIS OF PrestaShop vs WooCommerce.
WooCommerce vs PrestaShop: Complete Analysis
Now that WooCommerce and PrestaShop are not alien to us. We can proceed to see which offers what and can make a decision based on the following points.
1) Design & Themes (PrestaShop vs WooCommerce)
Both these e-commerce CMS(s) offer plenty of designs and themes to make your website more pleasant on the eyes.
WooCommerce themes and design listings are really sorted. Which makes it easy to use for the new store owners using an online medium. The storefront which is another plugin in collaboration with WooCommerce has themes for free.
- The themes are sorted on the basis of industry type.
- Customization of themes and designs available. In case, the themes available do not suit your style, you can always customize them in WooCommerce.
- No disadvantages that can hamper your business.
PrestaShop, too, provides different categories for themes and designs listed neatly. But, here comes the twist none of them are free.
- The choice range is very vast. It has thousands of template styles in store.
- Most of the themes are of decent quality. The premium ones especially are class apart.
- There is no customization available.
- The installation of the themes is a tricky task. It sure will prove to be a nightmare for a newbie.
Although Prestashop offers variety, it does not promise easy usability. So, our vote goes to WooCommerce in Design and themes.
2) Price (PrestaShop vs WooCommerce)
The themes discussed above has a price to it. Let us explore the price chart in WooCommerce and PrestaShop.
- WooCommerce Storefront themes are Completely Free! and they have decent quality to it.
- Even the non-free themes are not that costly. Most of them come for $39.
- The quality can be a little lacking than the premium templates of PrestaShop.
- The quality of Prestashop themes is a few steps in the lead. As we already pointed out that Prestashop premium templates are really classy ones.
- Although the categorization is done neatly, the rate of each template is way too high. The price ranges from 59 Euros to 99 Euros, whereas a larger number of theme costs 89 Euros. Which roughly converts to $68 for the least and $112 for the dearest.
- No free themes are available.
Keeping in mind that both these e-commerce are meant for small and medium-sized businesses. Cost is a serious aspect of it. And, hence our vote is with WooCommerce once again.
3) Customization (WooCommerce vs PrestaShop)
The process of customization is a dire requirement on a website that runs a business. In the following lines, we will discover the customization policy in the two CMS(s).
- Offers customization in themes, modules etc. Since WooCommerce is an open source CMS, it is re-writable by the users itself.
- It offers easy customization policy. It has add-ons that can be applied as it is. In nutshell, no extensive coding skills are needed.
- Add-ons are plugins that are to be installed first in order to use.
- With PrestaShop, you get access to over 3,000 modules, which you can use to add almost any feature you can imagine to your store.
- The modules can also be customized.
- To customize each and everything on the website, you need to be an expert in Coding. Though there are customization modules available as add-ons. But, there is a price to it which ranges from $29 to $299.
It is quite clear that WooCommerce is better in the customization category than that of PrestaShop. Thus, we applaud WooCommerce.
4) User Experience (WooCommerce vs PrestaShop)
Probably the most important feature a website owner looks for is how easily manageable all this is. Let us explore the user experience in both of these sites.
- As WooCommerce is a plugin on top of WordPress, It is a bit easy to use if you have had a site on WordPress already.
- The features and options are pretty much displayed in the same way as it is in WordPress.
- An additional benefit of the site is WordPress blog is there. It can prove to be useful for digital marketing purposes in business.
- Users new to WordPress may need some time to get accustomed to it.
- PrestaShop will definitely be a new experience for everyone.
- The user interface is nice. This is to say, once accustomed it is an easy ride.
- The blog facility is here too. Again, very effective for the marketing of your store.
- The customization and installation need an expert. Else it will be hectic.
Both the sites have their pros and cons in more or less equal proportions. So, It will be wise to declare this round a tie.
5) Support (WooCommerce vs PrestaShop)
If struck, it must be known who to contact? Thus, we are discussing the customer support system next.
- One thing is very striking is that the support option appears on the top itself. It spares you the time to search for it.
- Most users agree that response time is really low. And required support is usually provided
- Nothing as such.
- Being an open source CMS, many developers on the site are eager to solve your problems, which makes them more secure in comparison to hosted solution like Weebly, Wix etc.
- The support option is disguised inside of the Resources option. Therefore, it demands extra time.
- In comparison to WooCommerce, the response time is high.
- Some users reported not getting adequate help.
Our take on this matter is that even though PrestaShop has random developers contributing, an international website needs to have a proper support system of its own. Thus, WooCommerce is clearly the winner.
6) Security (PrestaShop vs WooCommerce)
- The security structure is well enough.
- The modules and themes are timely updated.
- Since it is a WordPress plugin, it is more prone to cyber attacks.
- The use of plugins to insert each feature is risky too.
Related Article – WooCommerce security tips
- PrestaShop also has a nicely working security structure.
- Timely updating of modules and themes is good.
- The Vulnerabilities are there.
In these times, it is hard to predict which site will get compromised and which will not. But, as far as the security standards are considered both e-commerce is well-prepared. In more clear words it is a tie.
As we mentioned above both of them have their share of pros and cons. Also, different businesses have different needs. Thus, you can now decide on the basis of the above comparison WooCommerce vs PrestaShop which one suits your e-commerce better. I hope the article helped you in making the crucial choice.
Astra’s rock solid firewall is highly tailored for both WooCommerce & Prestashop that secures your store in real time from attacks like XSS, SQLi, SEO spam, Malware, Bad bots, Brute force, Arbitrary file upload, Remote code execution & 100+ security threats.