In today’s interconnected digital landscape, where financial transactions have become an integral part of our daily lives, ensuring the security of payment card information has never been more critical. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) was introduced as a comprehensive framework to protect sensitive payment data.
However, as technology evolves, so do the tactics of cybercriminals, making it imperative for businesses to partner with the right PCI service providers to safeguard their transactions. In 2024, the need for robust PCI services is greater than ever, with statistics pointing to a staggering rise in cyberattacks targeting payment card data.
5 Best PCI DSS Service Providers
- Netwrix Auditor
- Liquid Web
Why is Astra Vulnerability Scanner the Best Scanner?
- Runs 8000+ tests with weekly updated scanner rules
- Scans behind the login page
- Scan results are vetted by security experts to ensure zero false positives
- Integrates with your CI/CD tools to help you establish DevSecOps
- A dynamic vulnerability management dashboard to manage, monitor, assign, and update vulnerabilities from one place.
- Helps you stay compliant with SOC2, ISO27001, PCI-DSS, HIPAA, etc.
- Integrates with Slack and Jira for better workflow management
- Trusted by the brands you trust like Agora, Spicejet, Muthoot, Dream11, etc.
As per the findings of the 2022 cybercrime report by Cybersecurity Ventures, the projected expense associated with cybercrime is set to reach $8 trillion in the year 2023, and this figure is anticipated to further escalate to $10.5 trillion by the year 2025.
As cybercriminals continue to refine their techniques and exploit vulnerabilities, businesses face mounting pressure to fortify their defenses and adopt stringent PCI DSS compliance measures.
In this blog post, we’ll delve into the features, advantages, and disadvantages of the five top PCI service providers in 2024. Remember, the PCI service provider you choose can play a significant role in maintaining your business’s credibility and secure operations.
Top 5 PCI Service Providers in 2024
The PCI Compliance Scan by Astra functions as a comprehensive security solution designed to ensure your business’s adherence to the standards set by the PCI DSS. After the initial setup, the scanner conducts an overall scan of your entire website or application. This not only includes the frontend that’s visible to users but also the backend where data is stored and processed.
The scanner thoroughly explores all corners of your online operation, identifying any potential vulnerabilities that may pose a threat. Post-scanning, the scanner provides an in-depth report detailing any issues and potential security risks. This valuable information serves as a guide as you address these issues to enhance your security practices and ensure PCI DSS compliance.
- Real-Time Threat Detection: Identify and eliminate threats in real-time.
- Auto Secure Code Review: Review your software’s code to detect any vulnerabilities.
- A bunch of useful security tools ideal for keeping up with PCI compliance.
- A platform packed with features that take care of many aspects of security.
- Helpful customer support to help you deal with any issues.
- It can cost more compared to other similar services.
- With so many features, those who aren’t good with tech might get confused.
AuditBoard is a popular PCI service provider. It’s easy to use and automates several critical tasks, which will make the management of your business’s security easier. It provides several tools for audit management, policy management, and compliance, and is intended to increase the efficiency of your business without compromising security.
Its offer includes helping to make sure you’re complying with SOX rules, running operational audits, and ensuring security compliance.
- Automated Audit Management: Experience seamless risk assessments, audit fieldwork, and reporting.
- Real-time Dashboards: Gain insights and track progress with interactive, real-time dashboards.
- Management of all rules in one place to reduce complications and risk.
- Better security and risk controls in line with PCI rules.
- Easy compliance with different frameworks for smooth operations.
- Lack of user-friendliness for first-time users.
- Few customization options.
Netwrix Auditor allows businesses to oversee and manage how processes are set up, changed, and accessed across IT systems. It focuses on comprehensive risk management. It monitors user behavior to identify non-standard and threatening patterns to detect and immobilize potential threats.
- Advanced Risk Assessment: Promptly identify data breaches and security risks.
- Detailed Reporting System: Review data with advanced search capabilities for forensic analysis.
- Ensures continuous compliance with PCI requirements.
- Provides visibility across systems.
- Provides comprehensive auditable evidence to pass PCI audits.
- Advanced features have a shallow learning curve.
- Large-scale implementation warrants extensive resource support from internal IT systems.
Bluehost is another PCI service provider that offers PCI compliance in all of its packages. Bluehost stands out as a web hosting platform that is especially helpful to beginners. Irrespective of the plan you opt for, with a bit of configuration and assistance, you can successfully clear your PCI scans. Particularly noteworthy is the WooCommerce hosting option for those utilizing both WordPress and WooCommerce.
- Secure eCommerce Hosting: Host your eCommerce site securely with PCI compliance.
- 24/7 Customer Support: Get rapid assistance at any hour of the day.
- It’s budget-friendly and simple to use, great for small to middle-sized online stores.
- It works well with different shopping cart systems.
- The customer service is top-notch with round-the-clock support.
- The loading speed might be a bit slower compared to some of their competitors.
- The built-in hosting plan doesn’t offer many options to change things up.
Liquid Web’s PCI Compliance service assists in structuring a hosting environment that adheres to all relevant security regulations. This service provider ensures that your services remain updated and new security vulnerabilities are addressed promptly.
The features offered by Liquid Web’s PCI Compliance service are comprehensive, including direct order verification from setup technicians and a thorough technical review of your hosting environment. This PCI compliance service also provides HIPAA/PCI certifications, reinforcing the assurance of privacy within your hosting environment.
- Quarterly Scans Performed by PCI Authorized Scanning Vendor
- PCI Protection for Up to 10 IPs
- Utilize threat intelligence and vulnerability management to detect and prevent cyber threats, enhancing both host and network security through advanced measures.
- Protect against vulnerabilities by providing prompt system patch deployment
- It costs more than other companies that host websites.
- If you want extra services, like backups and security, you have to pay more.
Importance of PCI Service Providers
PCI service providers play a pivotal role in helping businesses navigate the complex landscape of PCI DSS compliance and ensure the security of their payment card data. These providers offer a range of services, including risk assessments, security audits, penetration testing, and guidance on implementing necessary security controls. PCI compliance serves as an essential measure for protecting customers’ sensitive debit, credit, and cash card information during payment processing.
Magecart, a group formed by multiple hacker groups, focuses on stealing payment card information used for online purchases. They target third-party software companies, collecting customer data during transactions.
Between April 25 and August 5, 2020, it targeted Warner Music Group (WMG), taking card details like numbers and expiration dates. They also got hold of customer names, emails, phone numbers, billing addresses, and shipping addresses. This puts customers at risk for potential fraud and phishing attacks.
By adhering to the PCI DSS, businesses have a reliable benchmark to evaluate their security. Its strong foundation demands meticulously configured firewalls, encryption, anti-virus, and malware solutions, as well as security policies, thereby aiding businesses in maintaining a strong security posture.
Moreover, the rigorous security necessities that come with PCI compliance enable the development of a comprehensive IT security strategy. This not only supports adherence to PCI standards but also guides businesses in conforming to other national and international security standards like HIPAA, GDPR, and SOC 2.
PCI compliance service providers ensure the implementation of diverse security measures like internal audits, encryption methods, and regular vulnerability checks on systems. This proactive approach effectively strengthens security controls and minimizes the likelihood of a data breach.
The wealth of advantages of becoming PCI compliant includes safeguarding cardholder data, reducing the risk of data breaches, equipping agencies to counter both physical and network-based attacks, and boosting customer trust in card payments. This standard also furnishes agencies with a definitive security guideline to follow, improving operational efficiency and limiting the financial impact of any possible data breach.
As cyber threats continue to escalate, businesses must adopt reliable PCI service providers to safeguard their payment card information. The advantages of PCI compliance extend beyond the borders of data protection; they resonate within the corridors of customer trust, operational efficiency, and the fortitude to withstand the tumultuous tides of cyber adversity.
Among the leading players in this field, Astra emerges as a powerful ally. Astra’s PCI Compliance Scanner serves as a comprehensive security solution, meticulously scanning both the visible front end and the crucial back end of your online operations.
Its real-time threat detection and auto-secure code review bolster security measures, while it’s in-depth reports guide improvements for enhanced protection and compliance.
As you consider your options, don’t hesitate to reach out to the experts at Astra, who can provide helpful guidance and answer any questions you might have about strengthening your cyber security. Feel free to reach out to Astra’s cyber security experts for comprehensive and reliable advice.
What are the PCI service provider levels?
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) compliance is differentiated into four distinct levels, each targeting businesses with varying volumes of transactions per year. They are:
Level 1: This level applies to service providers that process over 6 million transactions annually or have suffered a data breach.
Level 2: Service providers in this level process 1 to 6 million transactions annually. They need to complete an annual self-assessment questionnaire (SAQ) and conduct quarterly vulnerability scans.
Level 3: Service providers processing 20,000 to 1 million e-commerce transactions annually fall into this category.
Level 4: Level 4 includes service providers processing fewer than 20,000 e-commerce transactions annually. They are required to complete an annual SAQ and may also need to perform vulnerability scans based on their acquirer’s requirements.
How is PCI-DSS Penetration Testing performed?
The process of PCI compliance penetration testing involves a sequence of steps that must be executed in a particular order. The steps include:
1. Scoping: Define the scope of the penetration test, specifying systems and networks to be tested for potential vulnerabilities.
2. Reconnaissance & Discovery: Gather information about the target, identifying potential entry points and weaknesses.
3. Exploitation: Actively exploit vulnerabilities to assess the system’s resistance to attacks.
4. Reporting: Document findings, vulnerabilities, and recommendations for improving security.
5. Re-scanning: Verify that identified vulnerabilities have been addressed and assess their resolution.
6. Continuous Scanning: Implement ongoing vulnerability assessments to maintain security and identify new risks.
What function does PCI perform in service?
PCI DSS is a set of guidelines that businesses have to follow to ensure secure of all payment card transactions. The role of PCI in service is to enforce these standards on any business that deals with card information. These companies must uphold strict security measures to protect cardholder data and secure transactions